CDP Choline is a powerful, safe and very well-tolerated cognitive enhancer and memory booster. It can be taken on its own or stacked with other supplements.
CDP Choline, also known as citicoline, is a nootropic supplement known for its potential to enhance memory and protect against memory loss. It has also been shown to increase focus and mental energy. As well as improving reaction time and clarity of thought.
Studies show that as well as boosting many aspects of cognition, it may also be an effective treatment for many medical issues including strokes, glaucoma, head injuries, age-related neurodegenerative diseases, and even cocaine dependencies.
It amplifies and enhances the effects of other nootropics. It works synergistically with racetam class nootropics, significantly improving the effects of memory boosters like piracetam and pramiracetam. While preventing minor headaches which are a common side effect of racetam supplements.
It's available by prescription only in some countries, including Brazil and parts of the EU. In the US and Canada, it's an unregulated nutritional supplement.
- Increased Mental Energy – Studies have shown it to have a significant positive effect on mental energy. It increases frontal lobe bioenergetics and helps to mitigate the cognitive declines associated with aging.
- Better Concentration and Focus: Can increase the ability to concentrate for long periods. Studies have shown it can improve concentration, even in serious conditions including brain injury, stroke and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Memory Enhancement – Improves memory and prevents memory loss. It's frequently associated with anti-aging and has been studied as a potential treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.
- Amplifying Other Nootropics: It's a great addition to any stack.
How It Works
It's a psychostimulant nootropic that works in several ways:
- Increases dopamine, adrenaline, and norepinephrine levels in the central nervous system
- Restores and repairs neuronal membranes
- Enhances the production of the acetylcholine (the learning neurotransmitter)
CDP choline is hydrolyzed in the intestines and rapidly absorbed. Once absorbed it splits into choline and cytidine and is resynthesized in the liver and other tissues. Then it disperses into the body, crossing the blood-brain barrier and entering the central nervous system.
A daily dose of 250–1000 mg in a single dose or split into two doses 8-12 hours apart.
It's a potentiator for other nootropics, especially racetams, which really pop when stacked with CDP choline.
Here are some example stacks:
Oxiracetam and CDP Choline Stack
Cognitive enhancements of piracetam with a major boost in energy, alertness, and wakefulness.
N.B. Could potentially interfere with sleep if taken late in the day.
1x–2x per day
Pramiracetam and CDP Choline Stack
Improvement of memory, thought clarity, focus, and sensory perception.
1x–2x per day
Piracetam and CDP Choline Stack
Good for overall cognitive enhancement, with neither stimulant nor calming properties.
1x per day
Studies and clinical trials haven't documented any serious side effects, even when high doses are taken.
Headache, indigestion, diarrhea, and insomnia have infrequently been reported as possible side effects.
Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding are advised not to take this supplement.
Where to Buy
Have you ever supplemented with CDP Choline? Which benefits did you experience?